Why You Really Need to Have Your Dryer Vent Cleaned

A dirty dryer vent hose that needs cleaning.The lint trap in your dryer catches only about 60 percent of the lint. The remaining 40 percent travels up through your dryer vent and the dryer vent system and accumulates over time. This not only creates a fire hazard, but it can also make your dryer run less efficiently and raise your electric bill.

Most of the dryer vent is not visible. The only parts that can be seen are the dryer exhaust, the transition hose, and the roof exhaust vent or exterior wall vent in some multi-story buildings. Most of the vent is located inside the walls, floor joist, crawl space, and attic.

If a fire started in one of these confined spaces, you might not be aware of it at first, which means it could spread to other areas. Sprinkler systems and smoke detectors might not be triggered right away. You and your family might wake up to find a large part of the house engulfed in flames.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, clogged or blocked dryer vents cause thousands of structure fires every year in the United States. These fires are responsible for dozens of deaths, hundreds of injuries, and millions of dollars in property losses.

Cleaning your dryer vent can make your dryer work more efficiently. If the vent is clogged, warm, moist air will be trapped in the dryer, which will make it take longer for your clothes to dry. You could have to run the dryer through more than one cycle to get the clothes dry, which would add to your electric bill.

Dryer vents should be cleaned once a year to remove lint causing blockages. This can protect your home from fire and also lower your monthly electric bill. Contact Preferred Hood & Duct today to schedule an appointment to have your dryer vent cleaned.