Spring is almost upon us here in Monterey, and that means it’s time to start thinking about annual spring cleaning. Open up the windows, beat the dust out of the carpets, wipe down the floors and wash the windows.
Spring cleaning is a great way to finally banish the winter blues, improve productivity, and even boost health. More than just an afternoon surface clean, spring cleaning is supposed to be a deep, thorough, rejuvenating process for you and your home.
If you want to do it right, you have to go beyond the surface. That means making sure your air ducts get the same treatment as the rest of the house.
Reasons to Include Home Duct Cleaning in Your Spring Cleaning
Cleaning your ducts could help with allergies.
Springtime is notoriously rough on those of us with allergies to things like pollen and ragweed. It’s also a period of transition as far as your HVAC systems go – from heating to cooling. That can mean accumulated dust and even mold from the system’s off-season getting pumped into your home, exacerbating or even causing spring allergy problems.
Home air duct cleaning gets rid of dust, pollen, pet dander, and other allergens so you and your family can breathe easy.
Cleaning your ducts could save you money on energy.
Regular servicing of your HVAC systems, including air duct cleaning, is a great way to save on energy costs. When air ducts are blocked up with dust and other contaminants it makes the system have to work harder to get its job done. This could mean more energy and ultimately a higher electric bill. It could also mean a shorter lifespan for the system, resulting premature replacement costs sneaking up when you least expect them.
Air duct cleaning, filter replacement, and other regular maintenance services are a great way to keep these costs down for long-term savings. That’s something every homeowner can get behind!
How Often Should Air Duct Cleaning Be Done?
This will vary depending on certain variables, but usually between every two to five years is advisable. More frequent air duct cleanings are advisable if any of these apply to you and your home:
- You have hardwood floors instead of carpets. This is because carpets gather dust, which then gets cleared with regular vacuum cleaning. With hardwood floors dust is more likely to get sucked into and accumulate within air ducts.
- Your ducts are made of fiberglass instead of metal.
- You or a family member is especially sensitive to dust, or has particularly bad allergies.
- You have one or more highly-allergenic pets, such as long-hair cats or shaggy dogs.
Regardless of when you last got your ducts cleaned, you should have them serviced right away if you notice any of the following:
- Visible mold in ducts or surrounding vents
- Animals nesting in ducts, or other vermin infestations
- You see a visible puff or cloud of dust from vents when in use
Fill out the form below to learn more about home air duct cleaning services in Monterey from Preferred HD in Monterey, CA. And happy spring!