If you’re a homeowner with an HVAC system that hasn’t been cleaned in a while, you may be asking yourself: How long can I go before I have to have my air ducts cleaned? The answer depends on a lot of different factors, and will be different from home to home. Here are some of the most common answers you can expect to hear when asking about HVAC and other duct and vent cleaning.
Home HVAC & Air Ducts
According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, most home owners should get their ducts cleaned every three to five years. If any of the following applies to you it might be wise to err toward cleaning your ducts every three years rather than five.
- You have one or more highly allergenic pets, like long-hair cats or dogs.
- You or someone in your home is particularly sensitive to dust or other allergens.
- Your ducts are made from fiberglass instead of sheet metal (fiberglass accumulates more dust).
- You have hardwood floors instead of carpets (carpets gather dust that otherwise gets sucked into the air system).
No matter how long it’s been since your last service appointment, you should get your ducts cleaned right away if you notice any of the following symptoms.
- You see or have reason to suspect mold is in the air ducts.
- You see, hear, or otherwise notice any kind of vermin infestation.
- You find black debris around the outside of the air vent register.
- You see a visible cloud of dust when air exits heating or conditioning vents.
When to Clean Your Dryer Vent
Cleaning your HVAC vents and duct-work is important to your health and well-being to be sure, but neglecting the maintenance of your dryer ducts can by downright deadly. Don’t believe us? The National Fire Protection Association estimates that more than 15,500 house fires were caused by dryers in 2010. When too much excess lint accumulates in your dryer vent, it can easily catch fire. But how often should you have your dryer vent cleaned?
Again, this depends on a lot of variables. If you have pets and a large family that requires several loads of laundry per week, you may need to clean your dryer ducts as frequently as every six months. However, if you live alone and only do laundry every couple of weeks, you might be able to safely go for two years or more.
- Here are some signs that your dryer vents need to be cleaned sooner than later.
- Clothes take longer to dry than normal, or require more than one drying cycle to complete.
- Clothing seems unusually hot to the touch after drying.
- You notice a musty odor in clothing after they’re dry.
- The lint trap is gathering larger amounts of debris than is normal.
If you’re in Monterey and think it may be time to have your air ducts or dryer vent cleaned, call Preferred Hood & Duct at (860) 613-1130. With free quotes, fair prices, and the customer service that’s second to none, Preferred HD is the best option for Monterey homeowners. Click here or call to request a quote today.