Fido and Fluffy making you stuffy? Pets are basically your best friends, but if you suffer from allergies or asthma, they can be your worst adversary. Pets produce dander in abundance. Dander is a combination of hair and dead skin cells that can bring about allergic reactions and asthma attacks to those who are sensitive to these allergens.
Why Clean your Home Ducts with HVAC Cleaning
The heating and cooling system of your home is basically its lungs. Air is taken in and pushed out. Household pets produce a plethora of airborne contaminants and pollutants that are pulled into the HVAC system and re-circulated several times during a typical day. This causes an eventual build-up of contaminants throughout the duct system making it difficult for your home to “breathe.” HVAC cleaning eliminates the build-up in the ducts opening the airways for a more efficient and cleaner home.
A basic rule of thumb is if your home’s duct system looks dirty, it most likely is. It is recommended by the NADCA (National Air Duct Cleaners Association) that dirty HVAC systems should be inspected by a reputable, certified HVAC professional.
Some Factors to Consider when deciding to utilize HVAC Cleaning
Although we love our pets, poor indoor air quality can cause a variety of respiratory illnesses and can be the cause of serious problems for individuals with respiratory issues, autoimmune disorders or other underlying health conditions due to pet allergens. Several factors include:
- Cleaning and dusting as often as possible to keep allergens at a minimum. Using a vacuum equipped with a high-efficiency particulate air filter (HEPA) is the best way to go.
- Try to minimize contact with pets. Keeping a pet outdoors as often as possible will help to reduce the build-up of dander, as well as does keeping them off commonly used furniture.
- If available, try to restrict pets to rooms with wood floors. Wood floors trap less dander than carpet and are far easier to keep clean.
- Closing some forced-air registers in rooms not in use will help reduce the amount of animal dander that can circulate throughout the home.
- Regularly replacing the filters in the air conditioning and the furnace units can help as well.
- Individuals who suffer from asthma or other allergies should avoid touching or petting animals.
- Regularly bathing a pet can reduce dander and other allergens by up to 85%, but returns to unhealthy levels within three days, suggesting that Fido or fluffy need a bath at least twice a week.
- Cleaning cages, litter boxes and pet beds thoroughly will also help in the reduction of allergens in the home.
Energy Savings Bonus
The U.S Department of Energy states that 25-40 percent of energy used in heating and cooling a home is actually wasted. All the dust and contaminants that accumulate cause the HVAC system to work harder, thus shortening its life. Even with filters the system still gets dirty through everyday usage. When an HVAC system is clean the most comfortable temperature can be maintained and as a result, less energy is used precipitating enhanced cost-effectiveness.
Get Your HVAC Ducts Cleaned Regularly with Preferred Hood & Duct, Inc.
Want to learn more about HVAC Cleaning and other services that Preferred Hood & Duct provides? Reach out to a certified professional at (860) 613-1130 or contact them online.