This winter’s been an exceptionally cold one in the northeast with no shortage of snow storms. As we get ready for another snowy week, you may be thinking about lighting your fireplace to keep warm. But before you do, you should know that having your fireplace lit is also affecting indoor air quality which is essential for your family’s health.
Here are some questions to ask before you start that fire.
Does Your Fireplace Actually Heat Your Home?
According to the Indoor Air Quality Association, “most fireplaces draw heated air into the fire.” So as you sit by the fire that’s radiating with heat, you’re also letting cold air from outside back in and reducing the warm air your home’s heating system is struggling to already provide. If this is the type of fireplace you have, it may not make sense to light a fire in hopes of making it warmer in your home.
What about Wood Burning Alternatives?
You may be considering an unvented fireplace that uses natural gas to create the fire and warmth in your home as a good alternative to the traditional open, wood burning fireplace – but not so fast. If you also want to keep your indoor air quality safe, this option isn’t as beneficial as it sounds. All of the combustion gases are now released into the room. And that means carbon monoxide and other dangers become a concern.
For the best indoor air quality while adding a heating element to your home, the Indoor Air Quality Association recommends opting for a direct vent sealed combustion fireplace. These deliver heat efficiently into the home without bringing in dangerous combustible gases.
At Preferred Hood & Duct we take indoor air quality seriously and provide air duct cleaning services for residential and commercial locations throughout Monterey. Improve air quality and keep people safe.