Are you sniffling more than usual in your own home? Have you been coming home from work to a night of sneezing, coughing, and watery eyes? If you’ve tried vacuuming, scrubbing, and wiping down every surface you can find, the culprit might be out of your line of sight. You might need to take a look at your home’s air ducts.
Air ducts which are a part of either your home heating or air conditioning systems can accumulate dust, mold, and other allergens when they’re not in use. When you turn them on as seasons change, those atmospheric contaminants get pumped into the air and can aggravate people with allergies.
How can you know for sure if your ducts are to blame for your allergy symptoms?
- Allergy symptoms are lessened or absent when you’re out of the house. If you’re only suffering at home, you know it’s something inside.
- You’ve tried cleaning everything else. Allergens like dust mites can accumulate on bedding, curtains, and upholstery, and bathrooms are a prime location for mold to grow. If you’ve already done deep cleaning of all those possible problem areas to no avail, issues with your ducts are likely.
- You’ve just turned on the central air or heating system. If your allergy symptoms correlate closely with the start of hot or cold seasons, it might be because of accumulated dust or mold in the vents.
- There’s visible mold or dust accumulation when you look inside your ducts and vents.
If any of these sound familiar, it might be time to call in an expert. A certified air cleaning specialist can come in for a consultation, often free of charge, and tell you what’s going on with your duct-work, and how to take care of it as quickly and safely as possible.
But don’t take our word for it. According to the EPA you should have your home’s air ducts cleaned if:
- The surfaces of your ducts or other components of your heating and cooling system have a substantial amount of visible mold on them. An air duct cleaning service may be able to show you this mold, if it is present.
- You have rodents, insects, or other vermin infesting your ducts.
- The ducts are clogged with dust and debris.
- Dust or debris is being released into your home through your system’s air supply registers.
If you’re in Monterey and think you might need to have your home or business’s air ducts or HVAC system cleaned, call Preferred Hood and Duct at (860) 613-1130. With years of experience and full certification from HVAC Inspection, Maintenance, and Restoration Association, they’re the best team in the state for all your duct cleaning needs. Use the number above or this convenient online form to get a free, easy, no obligation quote.